Norton Woman's Board
Helping Norton Hospital since 1925
In 1881, a group of Episcopal women purchased land to build a hospital at Third and Oak streets in Louisville, Ky. Norton Hospital was built and operated by a volunteer board of managers comprised of 13 Episcopal women for almost 40 years. In 1925 the women asked to be relieved of the responsibility of management and became the Norton Woman's Board.
Through the years, the Norton Woman's Board has been responsible for many projects and services at Norton Hospital. Members have operated the hospital's gift shop since 1946. This service and selling pictures of newborn infants enables the board to contribute financially to the hospital's growth and needs.Members of the Norton Woman's Board also volunteer with the hospital book cart, the chaplain's office and mail delivery.
- The Norton Woman's Board members are women who are members of the Episcopal church, but many other faithful volunteers join them in their mission. These volunteers include non-Episcopal men and women who help days, night and weekends.
- The Woman's Board was one of the founding organizations of the Norton Healthcare Foundation and provided funds for its start-up.
- The president of The Norton Woman's Board serves as a permanent director on the Norton Healthcare Foundation.
For information on supporting the Norton Woman's Board, contact the Norton Healthcare Foundation office, (502) 629-8060.