Nursing Clinical Advancement Program (N-CAP)
Promotes clinical achievement
To ensure registered nurses who provide direct patient care continue to have opportunities to be recognized and rewarded for skill advancement and clinical achievement, Norton Healthcare has developed the Nursing Clinical Advancement Program (N-CAP). N-CAP rewards participating nurses through three distinct levels of clinical nurse recognition - colleague, champion and expert.
Through N-CAP, registered nurses providing direct patient care are recognized and rewarded based on their:
- Level of clinical expertise
- Participation in decision-making
- Role in improving quality
- Willingness and ability to mentor others
- Participation in continuing education or advanced credentialing
N-CAP creates a step-by-step, logical progression to assist registered nurses in achieving their goals for clinical advancement through attainment, development and enhancement of clinical skills and critical decision-making skills. Norton Healthcare designed N-CAP using concepts from Patricia Benner's model for clinical advancement as described in her book, "From Novice to Expert." While not all nurses will choose to apply for higher level clinical advancement through N-CAP, opportunities to support such advancement will be available, and participation is recommended.
- Create a dynamic learning environment that promotes individual accountability and responsibility.
- Define performance standards that serve as guidelines for the evaluation of nursing practice.
- Recognize and reward clinical nursing expertise in patient/client care activities.
- Encourage professional self-development and clinical nursing advancement.
- Promote improved retention and recruitment of the brightest and best registered nurses at the bedside.
The N-CAP Board supports and champions the program and the nurse applicants. Staff nurses and nursing managers can contact any Board member for questions and support. A current list of N-CAP board members is available on Nsider.
Download the N-CAP brochure
Current Norton Healthcare employees can access the application packet and additional information on the Nsider in the Forms Library.
For more information, about N-CAP, please contact one of our RN recruiters via email: