PACS and CareLINK
Providing physicians immediate access to clinical images
A new, state-of-the-art Picture Archiving and Communications System (PACS) is available at Norton Healthcare. This system enables physicians and other caregivers to electronically capture, retrieve, view and store clinical images. Physicians may access PACS' online images using Norton CareLINK's electronic medical record at on-floor workstations or remotely via the Internet.
PACS virtually eliminates the need for radiology film for X-rays, MRIs, CT scans and other imaging modalities. This technology assists physicians by providing immediate access to clinical images to make diagnostic decisions and improve patient outcomes.
PACS eliminates the costs and delays associated with films and manual handling. Other benefits include:
- Improving speed of diagnoses and patient care by providing immediate access to diagnostic images, radiology interpretations and reports anytime, anywhere
- Providing remote access to images and reports for referring physicians
- Increasing productivity and streamlining workflow system wide
- Producing diagnostic quality images (no scanned images)
- Generating comparative study information
- Making it possible for primary care physicians, specialists and surgeons to access patient films simultaneously
- Providing access to breast MRIs
- Reducing the number of lost or misplaced films
- Providing concurrent access to the same images from different locations
- Increasing diagnostic capabilities due to digital technology
- Reducing need for retakes
- Increasing patient through-put
- Increasing number of cases read by radiologists per day
Minimum requirements: Windows 2000 or better, 65 megabytes of free space, Internet browser version 6 (will not work with version 7). A Pentium 4 processor and high-speed Internet connection are preferred for online images but are not required for reviewing reports and other data in CareLINK. Images retrieved are not stored on individual systems; they are instead archived through PACS.
PACS is a remote service connection offered free to referring physicians by Norton Healthcare. To learn more, call (502) 899-6512 to schedule a PACS demonstration.