Digital X-ray services for chest, abdomen, spine and extremities (legs and arms) provide greater detail and less radiation exposure for patients than standard film X-rays. No appointment is necessary, just bring the doctor's written order for the necessary test and your insurance card. Fluoroscopy services used for specialized exams such as MRI arthograms and pain injections of the hip and back also are available at Norton Healthcare, however, fluoroscopy and other special procedure require scheduled appointment times.
What to expect during your test or treatment
- Your technologist will take you to a special room where your X-ray will be taken.
- You will be asked to change into a gown and to remove jewelry, eyeglasses and any other metal objects that could show up in the picture.
- Before taking the picture, your technologist may cover certain areas of your body with a lead apron to keep them from being exposed to the X-rays.
- The technologist will either place you on an examination table or ask you to stand upright in a certain position, possibly using a pillow, sandbag or other device to help you hold the proper position.
- The technologist will place a film holder next to the area of your body to be imaged.
- You will then be asked to remain very still and hold your breath for a few seconds while the picture is taken. This process might be repeated several times.
The X-ray imaging is painless, and you won’t feel anything. Your only discomfort might result from lying on the hard surface of the table or maintaining an uncomfortable position for a short time.
What to expect after your test or treatment
- When your X-rays are completed, you will be asked to wait in the exam room while the technologist checks the pictures for good quality.
- A radiologist will analyze the images and send a report to your doctor, who will then discuss the results with you.
- You won’t experience any side effects from your X-ray. X-rays are very safe, and only the minimum amount ofbradiation necessary to obtain the needed results is used.
If you have any questions after returning home, please contact your physician.
Thank you again for choosing Norton Healthcare imaging services. It is a pleasure to serve you.
Norton Healthcare locations offering X-ray: