Below are some questions you may want to ask your doctor or nurse to help you take care of your heartburn and reflux.
If I have heartburn, can I treat myself or do I need to see the doctor?
What foods will make my heartburn worse?
How can I change the way I eat to help my heartburn?
- How long should I wait after eating before lying down?
- How long should I wait after eating before exercising?
Will losing weight help my symptoms?
Do cigarettes, alcohol, and caffeine make my heartburn worse?
If I have heartburn at night, what changes should I make to my bed?
What medicines will help my heartburn?
- Will antacids help my heartburn?
- Will other medicines help my symptoms?
- Do I need a prescription to buy heartburn medicines?
- Do these drugs have side effects?
How do I know if I have a more serious problem?
- When should I call the doctor?
- What other tests or procedures will I need if my heartburn does not go away?
- Can heartburn be a sign of cancer?
Are there surgeries that help with heartburn and reflux?
- How are the surgeries done? What are the risks?
- How well do the surgeries work?
- Will I still need to take medicine for my reflux after surgery?
- Will I ever need to have another surgery for my reflux?