Bowel Cleansing Instructions
Clear Liquid Diet
- Broth — chicken, beef or vegetable
- Jell-O — No red or purple dyes
- Popsicles — No red or purple dyes
- Fruit juices — NO Orange Juice, Grapefruit juice or V8
- Coffee — WITHOUT creamer, but Vanilla Boost does work!
- Tea — hot or cold
- Soft drinks — Coke, Diet Coke, Mountain Dew - No red or purple dyes
- Gatorade — No red or purple dyes
- Any clear drinks — water, sprite, lemonade, etc.
- Boost — (up to six cans) the day before your procedure ONLY & Chocolate and Vanilla ONLY (NO BOOST PLUS)
Follow these instructions and the instructions for the bowel cleaning preparation prescribed to you to ensure that your colon in cleaned out adequately. Removing all waste material from the colon prior to colonoscopy is important to allow your doctor to carefully examine the lining of you colon.
- The entire day prior to your colonoscopy, you should be on a clear liquid diet. (Please see box on right)
- Patients who are on insulin should follow these guidelines. You should check your blood sugar 4 - 5 times the day of your prep. Take your regular morning dose of insulin. You need to check your blood sugar prior to your evening dose of insulin. If your blood sugar reads less than 150, do not take evening dose. If your blood sugar reads 150-200 take ½ dose of insulin. If your blood sugar reads over 200 take your full dose of insulin. Do not take insulin on day of your procedure until after procedure has been performed.
- Please notify us if you are currently taking the following medications and inform us as to why you are prescribed these medicines. We will advise you to discontinue or make adjustments to these medications or ask you to consult with your primary care physician or cardiologist prior to your procedure.
- Plavix (Clopidogrel)
- Effient (Prasugrel)
- Brilinta (Ticagrelor)
- Ticlid (Ticlodipine)
- Coumadin (Warfarin)
- Eliquis (Apixiban)
- Aggrenox (Aspirin/dipyridamole)
- Pradaxa (Dabigatran)
- Persantine (Dipyridamole)
- Xarelto (Rivaroxaban)
- You should take nothing by mouth after midnight the night prior to your procedure.
On the morning of your procedure
- you may take your prescription medications with water unless otherwise instructed by your doctor.
- You may brush your teeth. If your procedure is scheduled for after 12PM, you may have a light clear liquid breakfast. (Please see box on right)
- You should not take any Boost or nutritional supplements on the day of the procedure.
- Arrive at the endoscopy suite at the time given to you by the scheduling staff of our office.
- Be sure to have someone available to drive you home from the procedure and stay with you for about 4 hours after the procedure is done.