BreathTek Patient Preparation
Your doctor has determined you should undergo the BreathTekTM Urea Breath Test to determine if you have helicobacter pylori (H. pylori)
In preparation for a BreathTekTM test, patients must:
1. Fast for one hour prior to taking the test.
- No food, liquids, or smoking
2. Abstain from the following medications for 2 weeks prior to the test:
- All antibiotics
- Proton Pump Inhibitors such as Prilosec and Prilosec OTC, Prevacid, Aciphex, Protonix, and Nexium
- Generic versions of PPIs containing omeprazole, lansoprazole, esomeprazole, pantoprazole and rebeprazole
- Bismuth preparations such as Pepto Bismol
H2 antagonists may be substituted for Proton Pump Inhibitors. These medication do not affect test results and include Zantac, Tagamet, Pepsid, and Axid.
Before test administration, all patients should be asked the following questions:
- Have you had anything to eat, drink or smoke in the last hour?
- Are you on any medications?
- Are you sensitive to aspartame (the sweetener used in diet soft drinks)?
When testing to confirm cure:
- The test should be administered 4 weeks after completion of treatment therapy. The above conditions also apply.