Caverna Memorial Hospital
Caverna Memorial Hospital
1501 South Dixie Street
Horse Cave, KY 42749
Caverna Memorial Hospital, Norton Healthcare Announce New Affiliation Agreement
HORSE CAVE, KY. (May 30, 2012): Officials of Caverna Memorial Hospital (CMH) in Horse Cave, Ky., and Norton Healthcare, Louisville, Ky.’s leading health care system, today announced that the two health care organizations have entered into a formal affiliation agreement.
The new agreement features these key elements for CMH, a 25-bed critical access hospital serving more than 30,000 patients each year in Hart County, Ky.:
- Full access by CMH medical providers and staff to the extensive training, education and management development services provided by Norton University. These include more than 500 free, accredited online courses in 19 distinct disciplines, including administration, clinical laboratory science, dietetics, emergency medical services, medical records, nurse aide/nursing assistant, nursing, occupational therapy, patient education, pharmacy, physical therapy, physician, physician (ethics), radiologic technology, required safety, respiratory therapy, social work, support staff, and wellness/personal enrichment. CMH management and staff will also have access to Norton University management and leadership development classes, offered both in Louisville and Horse Cave. CMH management will also have the opportunity to attend Norton Healthcare’s management development conferences in Louisville.
- Development of new and existing clinical programs and services through extension of expertise and resources associated with Norton Healthcare’s Clinical Service Lines and Centers of Excellence to help make that care more available in the communities served by CMH.
- Better coordination of continuity of care for patients who do require specialized or tertiary care and need to seek that care outside of the communities served by CMH. This will include resources such as enhanced use of the Norton Healthcare Access Center, which serves as a single point of resource for patients, families and physicians, to connect with physicians and services available through Norton Healthcare.
- Potential development of telemedicine initiatives to connect CMH physicians and patients with Norton Healthcare physician specialists.
- Better position CMH to be able to manage the inevitable but unknown changes that are rapidly coming to the health care industry under health care reform. This includes the need for rural health care organizations to align themselves with tertiary partners through affiliation agreements of this type.
“As an affiliate of Norton Healthcare, Caverna Memorial Hospital will enjoy the best of both worlds – access to the resources of the leading health system in Louisville, while retaining local ownership and leadership in daily operations,” said Alan Alexander, CEO of Caverna Memorial Hospital. “In the early stages of this relationship, Norton Healthcare will help us build clinical and management excellence through access to the broad array of education and training courses available through Norton University. The agreement also provides the opportunity to work with Norton Healthcare to further develop our clinical programs and services. We are ecstatic to have achieved this new affiliation agreement.”
“We are pleased to provide residents served by Caverna Memorial Hospital with enhanced access to continuing education programs, tertiary care and other medical services to support the health system’s existing programs and services,” said Michael Esposito, system vice president, Business Development, and executive director, Service Line Operations for Norton Healthcare. “Providing these services is part of Norton Healthcare’s not-for-profit mission to improve the health status of the communities we serve. We are delighted to have CMH as a new partner in improving community health.”
In recent months Norton Healthcare has announced similar new or enhanced affiliation agreements with five regional community hospitals in Kentucky and Southern Indiana, including Breckinridge Health in Hardinsburg, Ky.; Carroll County Memorial Hospital in Carrollton, Ky.; Harrison County Hospital in Corydon, Ind.; Spring View Hospital in Lebanon, Ky.; and Twin Lakes Regional Medical Center in Leitchfield, Ky.
About Caverna Memorial Hospital
Caverna Memorial Hospital, located in Horse Cave in south-central Kentucky, is a 25-bed critical access hospital serving more than 30,000 patients each year through inpatient, swing bed, emergency and outpatient services as well as its rural health clinics in Horse Cave and Munfordville. CMH employs 140 people and is in the late planning stages of constructing a new on-campus medical office building and installing a comprehensive electronic health record system. More information is available at www.cavernahospital.com.