Magnesium Citrate Bowel Prep
Clear Liquid Diet
- Broth — chicken, beef or vegetable
- Jell-O — No red or purple dyes
- Popsicles — No red or purple dyes
- Fruit juices — NO Orange Juice, Grapefruit juice or V8
- Coffee — WITHOUT creamer, but Vanilla Boost does work!
- Tea — hot or cold
- Soft drinks — Coke, Diet Coke, Mountain Dew - No red or purple dyes
- Gatorade — No red or purple dyes
- Any clear drinks — water, sprite, lemonade, etc.
- Boost — (up to six cans) the day before your procedure ONLY & Chocolate and Vanilla ONLY (NO BOOST PLUS)
You Must Purchase the following:
- 3 Bottles of Magnesium Citrate (clear or green ONLY)
- 3 Dulcolax Pills
- 1 Water-based Fleets Enema
You must complete ALL STEPS below to be cleaned out PROPERLY
Prep Day: Starting the day before your procedure
- Patients who are on insulin should follow these guidelines. You should check your blood sugar 4 - 5 times the day of your prep. Take your regular morning dose of insulin. You need to check your blood sugar prior to your evening dose of insulin. If your blood sugar reads less than 150, do not take evening dose. If your blood sugar reads 150-200 take ½ dose of insulin. If your blood sugar reads over 200 take your full dose of insulin. Do not take insulin on day of your procedure until after procedure has been performed.
- Please notify us if you are currently taking the following medications and inform us as to why you are prescribed these medicines. We will advise you to discontinue or make adjustments to these medications or ask you to consult with your primary care physician or cardiologist prior to your procedure.
- Plavix (Clopidogrel)
- Effient (Prasugrel)
- Brilinta (Ticagrelor)
- Ticlid (Ticlodipine)
- Coumadin (Warfarin)
- Eliquis (Apixiban)
- Aggrenox (Aspirin/dipyridamole)
- Pradaxa (Dabigatran)
- Persantine (Dipyridamole)
- Xarelto (Rivaroxaban)
- You will drink 1 bottle of Magnesium Citrate at:
- 1:00 p.m.
- 2:00 p.m.
- 6:00 p.m.
A Total of 3 Bottles
- Then take the 3 Dulcolax pills, after finishing the last of bottle of Magnesium Citrate.
- You must drink AT LEAST 8oz. of water every 2 hours that you are awake. You may have the clear liquid diet until midnight, the night prior to your procedure. (Please see list on right)
- If you are NOT COMPLETELY cleaned out after finishing your prep, you will need to give yourself a Water-based Fleets Enema.
- DO NOT eat or drink past midnight, the night prior to your procedure. Doing so may result in having to reschedule your procedure, due to insufficient bowel prep.
* * * Your Bowel Movements should be CLEAR like URINE!! * * *
Day of your procedure:
- Beginning 5-6 hours prior to your arrival time, drink two bottle of magnesium citrate.
- After prep is complete, nothing to eat or drink and no mints or gum until after your procedure.
- Please bring with you a current list of medications (include name, strength, and dosage).
- Please bring with you a list of any surgeries you have had.
- You will need to have someone bring you and drive you home. They will need to remain in the Endoscopy department at all times until the procedure has been completed. Patients will not be allowed to leave the facility alone.
- You are not to drive, operate any machinery or make legal decisions the remainder of the day/evening following your procedure.
- Once you return home someone will need to stay with you for at least 4 hours.
If you are unable to arrive on time for your procedure, please contact the appropriate Endoscopy department. If you are scheduled at Norton Suburban Hospital please call (502) 893-1277. If you are scheduled at Norton Brownsboro Hospital please call (502) 446-8200.