Norton Healthcare's Historical Timeline
2014: Norton Healthcare announces the acquisition of Occupational Medicine Physicians, providing expanded access to occupational medicine and employer health resources in Kentucky and Southern Indiana.
2013: Norton Healthcare opens Norton Orthopaedic & Hand Center, the primary tenant of a new four-story medical office building called Norton Medical Plaza II – Brownsboro. The 115,000-square-foot building is located at 9880 Angies Way on the Norton Brownsboro Hospital campus.
2012: Norton Healthcare breaks ground on an $89.7 million renovation of the 373-bed Norton Suburban Hospital, which will remain a full-service facility with new additional focus on innovative care dedicated to the unique needs of women and children. The renamed Norton Women’s and Kosair Children’s Hospital is expected to be complete in fall 2014.
2011: Norton Cancer Institute – Downtown opens Aug. 1 at 676 S. Floyd St.
2010: Kosair Children’s Medical Center – Brownsboro, a children’s outpatient facility, opens adjacent to Norton Brownsboro Hospital.
2009: Norton Brownsboro Hospital opens in the Old Brownsboro Crossing development.
2008: First Wade Mountz Heritage Society class is inducted with gifts of $6.5 million from 11 families.
2007: Norton Southwest Medical Center is purchased by Trilogy and Jewish Hospital & St. Mary’s HealthCare.
2006: Norton Southwest Hospital transitions into an outpatient medical center. Norton Medical Plaza opens at Old Brownsboro Crossing in northeastern Jefferson County.
2005: Norton Healthcare hospitals serving residents throughout Kentucky and Southern Indiana: Kosair Children's Hospital, Norton Audubon Hospital, Norton Hospital, Norton Southwest Hospital and Norton Suburban Hospital.
2003: Norton Spring View Hospital is purchased by LifePoint Hospitals Inc.
1999: Alliant Health System becomes Norton Healthcare, and each of its adult-service hospitals adds Norton to its name.
1998: Audubon, Southwest, Suburban and Spring View hospitals are purchased by Alliant Health System.
1989: Alliant Health System is formed by the merger of NKC Inc. and Methodist Evangelical Hospital.
1986: Kosair Children's Hospital moves to a new building at 231 E. Chestnut St.
1981: Children's Hospital and Kosair Crippled Children Hospital consolidate to become Kosair Children's Hospital. Norton-Children's Hospitals Inc. becomes NKC Inc.
1977: Southwest Jefferson Community Hospital opens.
1973: Norton and Children's hospitals move to a new building at 200 E. Chestnut St.
1972: Suburban Hospital opens.
1969: Norton Infirmary and Children's Hospital merge to form Norton-Children's Hospitals Inc.
1960: Methodist Evangelical Hospital opens at 315 E. Broadway.
1927: St. Joseph Infirmary opens at the corner Eastern Parkway and Preston Street.
1926: Kosair Crippled Children Hospital opens at 982 Eastern Parkway.
1892: Children's Free Hospital opens at 220 E. Chestnut St.
1886: John N. Norton Memorial Infirmary opens at Third and Oak streets.