The specialized focus of Norton Suburban Hospital, future home of Norton Women’s and Kosair Children’s Hospital, is on women’s care, which allows us to provide the highest level of quality patient care in a state-of-the-art facility that promotes a sense of healing. Our many new services focused on women’s health are designed to ensure women receive superior care in their own community. We count on our volunteer support to ensure an exceptional level of care for women.
- Labor and delivery liaison volunteer: Answers phones, provides information and directions, and acts as the liaison between patients in the labor and delivery unit and family members in the waiting room.
- Marshall Women’s Health & Resource Center volunteer: Greets and welcomes guests into the center, answers the phone and assists with distribution of handouts and other facility-related literature.
- Women’s postsurgical services volunteer: Serves as a liaison between patients and family members and the hospital staff to fulfill nonclinical requests, including welcoming patients and family members to the hospital and finding ways to make patients and family members more comfortable during their stay, which may include providing reading materials or other activities upon request, tidying up patient rooms or spending a few minutes visiting with patients who need extra support.
- Mammography center volunteer: Greets and welcomes guests into the center, provides information and directions, and assists the registrar.
Volunteers in these positions must have good communication skills and are required to be personable, friendly and professional with a willingness to help others.
We also offer opportunities for you to donate your time in other ways through the creation and/or giving of needed items. We accept monthly donations for a variety of items, including:
- Layette items for newborns such as quilts, blankets, caps to comfort new babies.
- Hand-crafted pillows for surgical patients to make them more comfortable and help their healing.
- Handmade greeting cards are a personalized touch for our patients.
- Puzzle books such as crossword, word search and Sudoku are ideal for patients on extended bed rest.
- Scrapbook materials such as stickers, embellishments, background paper and other supplies provide a fun activity for long-term patients.
The addition of specialized pediatric services on our campus allows us to expand our reach of care throughout our community. It also creates new opportunities for volunteers in our inpatient playroom — a place for fun, safe, supportive play and social interaction.
- Playroom volunteer: Assists with activities in the playroom or in patient rooms. Trained volunteers recommended.
You can also show your support by donating new toys, books and games to help inspire our children and promote a fun environment for healing.