Helicobacter pylori breath
Your doctor has determined that you should undergo the BreathTek urea breath test to determine if you have Helicobacter pylori.
Helicobacter pylori preparation instructions
- Do not eat or drink anything and do not smoke for one hour before the test.
- Do not take any of the following medications for two weeks before the test:
- Proton pump inhibitors, including brand names such as Prilosec, Prilosec OTC, Prevacid, Aciphex, Protonix and Nexium,
- Generic versions of PPI's containing omeprazole, lansoprazole, esomeprazole, pantoprazole and rebeprazole
- Bismuth preparations such as Pepto-Bismol
H2 antagonists may be substituted for Proton Pump Inhibitors. These medication do not affect test results and include Zantac, Tagamet, Pepsid, and Axid.
Before test administration, all patients should be asked the following questions:
- Have you had anything to eat, drink or smoke in the last hour?
- Are you on any medications?
- Are you sensitive to aspartame (the sweetener used in diet soft drinks)?
When testing to confirm cure: The test should be administered 4 weeks after completion of treatment therapy. The above conditions also apply.