Louisville’s Destination for Congestive Heart Failure Care
Norton Heart & Vascular Institute is the leading provider of advanced heart failure care in Kentucky, Louisville and Southern Indiana. We treat a full range of congestive heart failure stages, from medication for mild cases to mechanical circulator support management, such as LVAD (left ventricular assist device), for severe cases or for those awaiting a new heart.
Our board-certified and fellowship-trained cardiologists have the experience, expertise and easy access you’d expect from Louisville’s leader.
Led by Kelly C. McCants, M.D., our Advanced Heart Failure Program exceeds national benchmarks.
Our cardiologists have the skill and sophisticated tools to precisely diagnose why your heart isn’t pumping enough blood and customize a treatment plan for your condition — from mild to severe.
Sophisticated Treatment Close to Home
Coronary artery disease, high blood pressure and diabetes can damage the heart and are common congestive heart failure causes.
Our expert providers will want to understand the precise cause of your heart failure. They may conduct diagnostic tests, including blood tests and stress tests, as well as CT scans, MRI, electrocardiogram, echocardiogram and a coronary angiogram.
Heart failure usually does not go away, but medication and making lifestyle changes that include a healthy diet and regular exercise can manage the disease. The earlier you start treatment, the better your chance of controlling symptoms and preventing further damage to your heart or, in some cases, rebuilding your heart muscle.
Severe cases of congestive heart failure may require steps that are more aggressive. Our cardiologists have expertise in identifying underlying causes of heart failure and if it requires surgical repair, we have the skills and equipment to get you back to your life.
The American College of Cardiology has accredited all four Norton Health Care adult hospitals as Chest Pain Centers.
Dr. McCants returned to Louisville to lead the Norton Heart & Vascular Institute Advanced Heart Failure Program. Dr. McCants completed his cardiology fellowship at the University of Louisville School of Medicine. After completing his heart failure/transplant fellowship with New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center, Dr. McCants most recently led the heart failure and transplant program at Piedmont Health in Atlanta.
Heart Failure Care Designed for Heart Recovery
The goal of Norton Heart & Vascular Institute Advanced Heart Failure Program is to maintain each patient in the outpatient setting. This means our staff works with you to monitor, manage medications and provide treatment options to keep you out of the hospital. We know that by the time you feel symptoms of cardiac distress, your heart function is not being preserved.
We offer the latest in advanced heart failure monitoring technology to detect signs of reduced heart function before you ever feel any symptoms. Our program was the first in Kentucky to implement the REDS Vest, designed to detect increases in water retention, a sign of heart failure. Our staff works with various levels of cutting-edge technology to change the way a heart failure patient is managed, providing better outcomes and quality of life.
In addition to our current leading-edge treatments, we offer our patients the opportunity to participate in innovative clinical research studies. These trials help improve current cardiology treatments, in addition to finding new and promising solutions.
Congestive Heart Failure Care for the Whole Person
Each month Norton Heart & Vascular Institute offers a free class for patients and their caregivers facing heart failure.
In addition we offer a variety of events and support groups for patients and families. To register for any activity, call (502) 629-1234.
- Norton Heart & Vascular Institute Resource Center offers education, support and resources for men and women of all ages seeking to improve cardiovascular health, including free classes with topics ranging from tai chi to living a full life with heart failure.
- WomenHeart: Trained heart disease survivors provide recovery plans for women with heart disease.
- Pulmonary and cardiac rehabilitation: Medically supervised exercise program and education for patients struggling with respiratory ailments or recovering from a cardiac event.
- Communicate with your provider, manage appointments, refill prescriptions and more anytime from a computer or mobile device with a free MyNortonChart account.
About Norton Heart & Vascular Institute
Norton Heart & Vascular Institute specialists treat more people for heart and vascular care — about 250,000 every year — than any other provider in Louisville and Southern Indiana.
- Norton Healthcare’s four adult-service hospitals are American College of Cardiology accredited Cycle VI Chest Pain Centers — the highest level of expertise to evaluate, diagnose and treat patients who may be experiencing a heart attack.
- We have more than 45 board-certified cardiovascular physicians and 30 advanced practice providers. Through training and years of experience, they specialize in areas such as cardiology, interventional cardiology, cardiothoracic surgery, electrophysiology, advanced heart failure and vascular surgery.
- We offer same-day new patient appointments.
- We have 27 locations in Louisville and Southern Indiana. Telecardiology is offered at more than 30 clinical sites in the region.
- We have the experience, expertise and easy access you’d expect from the largest cardiovascular care provider in Kentucky.
- Norton Healthcare is the only health care system in Kentucky to receive the prestigious Mission Lifeline: Regional Trailblazer Award from the American Heart Association for being an innovator in creating a system of care for ST elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) heart attacks — the most severe type of heart attack.