When you need heart surgery, you need a leader
Norton Heart & Vascular Institute’s three board-certified and fellowship-trained cardiothoracic surgeons are at the forefront of bringing advanced open-heart surgery and thoracic surgery techniques to Louisville and Southern Indiana.
Cardiothoracic surgery includes open-heart surgeries such as heart bypass and valve replacement as well as minimally invasive, robotic-assisted procedures on the heart, lungs and other organs in the chest.
Our cardiothoracic surgeons performed more than 500 heart bypass or valve procedures last year and have an average of about 25 years’ experience .
They have the experience, expertise and easy access you’d expect from Louisville’s health care leader.
Expertise, experience and skill
The Norton Cardiothoracic Surgery team is dedicated to providing the latest surgery and treatment options focused on improving your quality of life. Our cardiothoracic specialists are at the forefront of the latest medical advancements for treatment of coronary artery disease, aortic valve disease, mitral valve disease, congenital defects of the heart, enlarged hearts and other major problems.
Norton Cardiothoracic Surgery provides the latest in surgical procedures. Some state-of-the-art procedures include:
- Coronary artery bypass graft
- Off-pump heart bypass surgery
- Transmyocardial revascularization
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
- Valve repair/replacement
- Atrial fibrillation surgery
- Convergent procedure, a minimally invasive treatment for A-fib
- Minimally invasive valve surgery
Interventional cardiologists can treat many blockages with angioplasty — a minimally invasive procedure that threads a catheter with a tool on the end through the artery to clear a blockage. But if the blockage is extreme, or if too many arteries are blocked, a bypass performed by a cardiothoracic surgeon may be necessary.
If the blockage is in the left coronary artery — the one responsible for catastrophic heart attacks — the blockage is so risky that a surgeon will perform a bypass.
So many of your body’s functions are primarily located in the chest, and our cardiothoracic surgeons work closely with physicians across Norton Heart & Vascular Institute, including cardiology, interventional cardiology, electrophysiology and heart failure, to bring you complete, multidisciplinary heart care.
Heart and vascular care for the whole person
We offer classes, events and support groups for patients and families. To register for any activity, call (502) 629-1234.
- Norton Heart & Vascular Institute Resource Center offers education, support and resources for men and women of all ages seeking to improve cardiovascular health, including free classes with topics ranging from tai chi to living a full life with heart failure.
- Circle of Hearts:A free education series dedicated to education and support for women with heart disease
- WomenHeart:Trained heart disease survivors provide recovery plans for women with heart disease.
- Pulmonary and cardiac rehabilitation: Medically supervised exercise program and education for patients struggling with respiratory ailments or recovering from a cardiac event or surgery
- Communicate with your provider, manage appointments, refill prescriptions and more anytime from a computer or mobile device with a free MyNortonChart account.
About Norton Heart & Vascular Institute
Norton Heart & Vascular Institute specialists treat more cardiovascular patients — about 100,000 every year — than any provider in Louisville and Southern Indiana.
- Our board-certified and fellowship-trained cardiologists, electrophysiologists, cardiothoracic and vascular surgeons have the experience, expertise and easy access you’d expect from Louisville’s leader.
- We have more than 45 board-certified cardiovascular physicians and 30 advanced practice providers. Through training and years of experience, they specialize in areas such as cardiology, interventional cardiology, cardiothoracic surgery, electrophysiology, advanced heart failure and vascular surgery.
- We offer same-day new patient appointments.
- We have 27 locations in Louisville and Southern Indiana. Telecardiology is offered at more than 30 clinical sites in the region.
- We have the experience, expertise and easy access you’d expect from the largest cardiovascular care provider in the state.
- The American College of Cardiology Accreditation Services certifies Norton Healthcare for chest pain and atrial fibrillation care.
Karen Allen, R.N., oncology patient navigator for Norton Cancer Institute, sees the patient navigator role as a “bridge across the canyon of uncertainty” for patients who are newly diagnosed with cancer. “I imagine my family […]Read Full Story
You have a thing for bags. The bigger the better, right? Sure, a big, fabulous bag might be able to hold everything you want to carry with you, but all that extra baggage is doing […]Read Full Story
Disney star Cameron Boyce’s family says a seizure led to his death: What is sudden unexpected death in epilepsy (SUDEP)?
When actor Cameron Boyce, a star of the Disney Channel show “Jessie,” died at age 20, his family said in a statement that his sudden death was due to a seizure during sleep. According to […]Read Full Story