Foot and ankle expertise from Louisville’s orthopedic leader
Norton Orthopedic Institute is the leading provider of orthopedic care in Louisville and Southern Indiana. It’s also home to one of the area’s few fellowship-trained physicians specializing in treating foot and ankle pain.
Our providers have advanced diagnostic tools to pinpoint the source of your pain. They have the training and equipment to provide a full range of treatment. Some patients do well with therapy, bracing and anti-inflammatories.
Our providers have advanced training to recommend and provide a broad range of treatment. Depending on your pain and disability, our providers will discuss options ranging from therapy, bracing and anti-inflammatories to ankle replacement surgery.
Fellowship-trained in foot and ankle orthopedics
Our specialists are fellowship-trained to provide expert foot and ankle care. In collaboration with other physicians, they work regularly studying ways to advance foot and ankle orthopedics.
For some patients, conservative methods do not provide adequate relief. In those cases, arthrodesis (surgical ankle fusion) or ankle replacement are possibilities. Arthrodesis uses screws, plates or rods to immobilize much of the ankle joint but relieve pain.
For those with severe ankle damage from arthritis or injury, ankle replacement may be an option. In an ankle replacement, your surgeon replaces damaged surfaces of the joint with medical-grade metal and plastics.
Ankle replacement should give years of pain relief with the ability to move the joint normally. The replacement typically lasts 10 to 15 years. Our specialists work regularly with orthopedic surgeons, engineers and other scientists to improve materials and surgical techniques.
Some patients can go home the same day as surgery, but patients typically spend a night in the hospital.
Care that’s focused on you
- Minimally invasive procedures can have you home quickly with less pain and faster recovery.
- Sophisticated pain management aims to keep you comfortable and safe.
- We have a deep commitment to getting you moving again and managing your pain so you can keep up with your physical therapy.
- Norton Joint Camp is a chance for you to learn about what to expect if you’re having joint replacement surgery. You’ll get help preparing yourself and your home for your recovery. You’ll learn ways to minimize pain and recover faster.
- With 30 orthopedic locations in Louisville and Southern Indiana, we have specialists near you.
- Communicate with your provider, manage appointments, refill prescriptions and more anytime from a computer or mobile device with a free MyNortonChart account.
About Norton Orthopedic Institute
Norton Orthopedic Institute has more orthopedic specialists caring for more patients than any other health care provider in Louisville or Southern Indiana.
- We have more than 80 providers, including board-certified and fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeons at 30 locations in Louisville and Southern Indiana.
- We offer same-day appointments.
- We have sports medicine specialists who understand the stresses on an athlete’s body and have the expertise to provide the right treatment for your injury.
- Our providers are pioneers in innovative orthopedic surgeries focused on minimizing pain and recovery time.
Our physicians and advanced practice providers pinpoint your diagnosis, offer the right care and get you moving again.