Lumbar disc herniation
Restoring lives disrupted by lumbar disc herniation
Norton Leatherman Spine is respected around the world as a leading provider of spine care. We also are the premier destination for patients in Louisville, Southern Indiana and beyond with lumbar disc herniation.
Back pain and leg pain don’t need to get in the way of living a full life.
Our skilled physicians have the experience to identify the right treatment for a broad range of spinal conditions — including the most complicated problems and lower back and leg pain that affect millions.
Our specialists know that surgery isn’t right for everyone. If simpler treatments don’t work, and relief will come only from an operation, you’ll want surgeons at the leading edge of technology, using minimally invasive procedures.
International reputation for excellence
Kenton D. Leatherman, M.D., pioneered new approaches to spine care after World War II. His commitment to bring the best and most innovative care to his patients provides the foundation for today’s practice. Our orthopedic and neurosurgical spine physicians combine proven treatments that have built our reputation over 25 years with new developments at the leading edge of innovative care.
We’ll evaluate your case and give you a treatment plan customized for you.
As the most comprehensive spine care team in the region, we will consider surgery for lumbar disc herniation only if other treatment options fail to provide relief.
If surgery is required, lumbar disc herniation typically can be treated by partial discectomy or laminectomy for decompression of the involved nerves. Norton Leatherman Spine specialists are known internationally for their work on complex cases. They apply the same level of expertise and care to these more common back surgeries.
Depending on your case, our surgeons may perform a minimally invasive discectomy to remove the part of the herniated disc causing your pain.
In a minimally invasive procedure, we make smaller incisions through which we can remove the herniated disc. This relieves pressure on the nerve and helps relieve pain.
A smaller incision means you can get back on your feet faster and resume living your life. Patients typically go home the day after surgery.
New advances such as robotic-assisted spinal surgery used at Norton Leatherman Spine allow for decompression by laminectomy, with less recovery time and less postoperative pain. Laminectomy reduces pain and restores function by removing bone and ligament overgrowth compressing the nerves.
The expertise of our surgeons helps us choose the right procedure the first time, so as to minimize the risk for complications or additional surgery.
Making it easy to get back to your life
- With six Norton Leatherman Spine locations in Louisville and Southern Indiana, we have specialists near you.
- We use minimally invasive procedures that can reduce recovery time and reduce the risk of complications.
- Sophisticated pain management aims to keep you comfortable and safe.
- Communicate with your provider, manage appointments, refill prescriptions and more anytime from a computer or mobile device with a free MyNortonChart account.
About Norton Leatherman Spine
- The board-certified and fellowship-trained specialists at Norton Leatherman Spine are among the most experienced in the country, treating conditions like yours for an average of 20 years.
- We have orthopedic spine surgeons and neurosurgeons providing care from our offices in downtown Louisville and surrounding counties.
- Our physicians pinpoint your diagnosis to come up with the right treatment plan, including surgical and nonsurgical options as appropriate.
- We offer minimally invasive and robotic-assisted procedures that carry less risk and can speed your recovery. Norton Leatherman Spine surgeons are actively involved in the development of next generation minimally invasive technologies.
- The physicians at Norton Leatherman are leaders in their field and train the next generation of specialists. Norton Leatherman Spine’s physicians trained more than 100 of the leading spine surgeons practicing throughout the U.S. today.
- Techniques developed at Norton Leatherman Spine have produced better outcomes for patients with fewer side effects and are routinely performed around the world today.
- Our team performs more than 4,000 surgeries a year, and patients come to our providers more than 30,000 times a year.
We are seeing record high temperatures in Greater Louisville already this spring. These early hot days mean you can get caught off guard by heat-related illnesses, such as dehydration, heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat [...]Read Full Story
Under the VA Mission Act of 2018, eligible U.S. veterans now are able to get treatment for minor injuries and illnesses such as colds, sore throats and minor skin infections at urgent care clinics through […]Read Full Story
Karen Allen, R.N., oncology patient navigator for Norton Cancer Institute, sees the patient navigator role as a “bridge across the canyon of uncertainty” for patients who are newly diagnosed with cancer. “I imagine my family […]Read Full Story
You have a thing for bags. The bigger the better, right? Sure, a big, fabulous bag might be able to hold everything you want to carry with you, but all that extra baggage is doing […]Read Full Story