Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
Norton Leatherman Spine is proud to offer minimally invasive surgery to qualified candidates. Minimally invasive spine surgery is one of the biggest advancements in the field of spine surgery over the past decade. Prior to the development of minimally invasive techniques, spine surgery required a large incision and long operation that could result in a prolonged hospital stay. Minimally invasive approaches have been developed in order to minimize the trauma associated with “open” spinal procedures.
What is Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery?
In traditional open spine surgery, an incision is made and the muscles of the lower back are cut from the spine. These muscles can lose much of their blood supply and nerve attachments. In minimally invasive spine surgery, a large incision is not necessary and the muscles of the back are spared. The surgeon uses small incisions and then guides instruments through these incisions to reach the spine. No muscle is cut — only gentle opening and separation.
Benefits of Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
Minimally invasive spine surgery can have several important benefits over traditional open surgery:
- Smaller incisions
- Less blood loss
- Less pain
- Less soft tissue damage
- Shorter hospital stay
- Quicker recovery
Am I A Candidate for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery?
Our surgeons are dedicated to getting you back to living your life. You deserve to live pain-free, and we are here to help. Although not everyone is a candidate for minimally invasive surgery, the vast majority may be treated with muscle-sparing techniques.
We encourage our patients to explore all options before consenting to open surgery. Minimally invasive surgery can have a significant improvement in pain, infection risk and length of hospital stay. Many minimally invasive procedures can be performed on an outpatient basis, avoiding a two- to six-day hospital stay that may be needed with open surgery.
Our Surgeons Are Leaders in Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
Mladen Djurasovic, M.D. – Dr. Djurasovic has been a national leader in minimally invasive lumbar spine surgery techniques for over 15 years. In particular, he pioneered a procedure called MidLIF that combines minimally invasive access with a standard anatomical approach.
Jeffrey L. Gum, M.D. – Dr. Gum has been a leader in the development of robotic minimally invasive spinal surgery.
Joseph L. Laratta, M.D. – Dr. Laratta offers unique minimally invasive capabilities including lateral access surgery and tubular approaches for lumbar and cervical spine procedures.
Helping You Get Back to Your Life
- With six Norton Leatherman Spine locations in Louisville and Southern Indiana, we have specialists near you.
- We use minimally invasive procedures that can reduce recovery time and risk for complications.
- Sophisticated pain management techniques aim to keep you comfortable and safe.
- Communicate with your provider, manage appointments, refill prescriptions and more anytime from a computer or mobile device with a free MyNortonChart account.
About Norton Leatherman Spine
Norton Leatherman Spine in Greater Louisville and Southern Indiana offers world-class care from surgeons who are recognized nationally and internationally for their innovation, expertise and skill. Norton Leatherman Spine is one of the premier research and educational programs in the United States for spine surgeons.
Our rich history traces back to Kenton D. Leatherman, M.D., who more than 50 years ago became the first orthopedic surgeon in Kentucky to specialize in spine care. A University of Louisville School of Medicine graduate, he developed leading-edge approaches to treating scoliosis after World War II.
- The board-certified and fellowship-trained specialists at Norton Leatherman Spine are among the most experienced in the country, treating spine conditions for an average of 20 years.
- We have orthopedic spine surgeons and neurosurgeons providing care from our offices in downtown Louisville and surrounding counties.
- Our physicians pinpoint your diagnosis to come up with the right treatment plan, including surgical and nonsurgical options as appropriate.
- We offer minimally invasive and robotic-assisted procedures that carry less risk and can speed recovery. Norton Leatherman Spine surgeons are actively involved in the development of next generation minimally invasive technologies.
- The physicians at Norton Leatherman Spine are leaders in their field and train the next generation of specialists. Norton Leatherman Spine’s physicians trained more than 100 of the leading spine surgeons practicing throughout the U.S. today.
- Techniques developed at Norton Leatherman Spine have produced better outcomes for patients with fewer side effects and are routinely performed around the world today.
- Our team performs more than 4,000 surgeries a year, and patients come to our providers more than 30,000 times a year.
Scoliosis affects about 7 million people in the U.S. People with scoliosis have an abnormal curve in their spine, which can vary in severity. For those who need treatment, options range from physical therapy, such […]Read Full Story
Norton Leatherman Spine is known around the world for taking care of complex spinal issues, such as scoliosis in children and adults. Its specialists also treat much more common conditions like degenerative spine problems. Such [...]Read Full Story
Lynsey Buege from Bullitt County, Kentucky, spent six days a week at the Bullitt County YMCA training for fitness competitions. But last year after placing second at the regional level, Lynsey began noticing a pain [...]Read Full Story
Rep. Kim King has represented central Kentucky’s 55th District for almost a decade. She knows the halls of the state Capitol by heart and has cast hundreds of votes on the House floor. But this [...]Read Full Story