Vanessa Shannon, Ph.D., director of mental performance for University of Louisville Athletics and Norton Sports Health, provides support, guidance and instruction to elite athletes. Her tips for achieving your best address mental conditioning and preparation. Dr. Shannon’s expertise has been featured in numerous articles, interviews, and videos.
Mental performance resources
Learn more about Dr. Shannon’s work with mental performance through interviews and stories:
- Achieving mental toughness
- Dr. Shannon’s dos and don’ts for parents of athletes
- Hear Dr. Shannon speak about mental performance on the “Culture and the Cardinal Mindset” podcast.
- Read story: Want your kids to succeed in life? Let them fail on the field.
About Norton Sports Health
No matter what type of athlete you are, Norton Sports Health can provide you with the care you need. From high school to professional, from older adults to weekend warriors, we prevent sports-related injuries and get you back to the activities you enjoy.
- Norton Sports Health specialists are trained and experienced in caring for sports-related injuries and conditions.
- Our team includes orthopedists, neurologists, primary care physicians, professional athletic trainers and physical therapists.
- Our providers work together to provide advanced care for athletes and individuals of all ages.
- We design customized programs that meet your specific needs and help get you back to your active lifestyle.
- Our sports health specialists serve as medical directors for the Kentucky Derby Festival miniMarathon/Marathon.
- We provide athletic trainers to high schools and colleges in Louisville and Southern Indiana.
We are seeing record high temperatures in Greater Louisville already this spring. These early hot days mean you can get caught off guard by heat-related illnesses, such as dehydration, heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat [...]Read Full Story
Under the VA Mission Act of 2018, eligible U.S. veterans now are able to get treatment for minor injuries and illnesses such as colds, sore throats and minor skin infections at urgent care clinics through […]Read Full Story
Karen Allen, R.N., oncology patient navigator for Norton Cancer Institute, sees the patient navigator role as a “bridge across the canyon of uncertainty” for patients who are newly diagnosed with cancer. “I imagine my family […]Read Full Story
You have a thing for bags. The bigger the better, right? Sure, a big, fabulous bag might be able to hold everything you want to carry with you, but all that extra baggage is doing […]Read Full Story